How and when did you get into taxidermy?
I began training in taxidermy 2011, but before that, having self taught (and still now) I also had an insatiable interest in taxidermy, anatomy and natural history from a young age.
Where did you learn?
I have been trained by master taxidermist Mike Gadd in bird and mammal taxidermy, along with other touring taxidermists. From there I trained and self taught myself. There are no formal qualifications in taxidermy, a love for animals and a passion for your interests helps the learning process. I’m still classed as an ameture taxidermist, I’m very critical of my own work but hopefully one day in the future that status will grow.
How much are your classes?
Classes vary in price depending on the specimen and the intensity of the class. Taster taxidermy classes range from 3 to 9 hours and even can run into two day sessions. Entomology classes range from 1 to 3 hours. Please see our class timetable to see pricing and dates available or contact directly if you are interested in a certain workshop.
Where do you get the animals from?
All of Moth Studios specimens used in classes and in works are responsibly and legally obtained. All animals have been donated or found once they have passed. The animals come from aviaries, road kill, pet stores, pest control, natural deaths in the wild and sometimes pets. We do not violate any legal laws nor do we support anyone who practices this. At the moment, Moth is working up towards getting certain licences, but we are happy to pass you onto a more skilled taxidermist for more valuable jobs. Moth Studios has the upmost respect for animals, in life and after death and this is a priority in our constitution. We try not to use the word “ethical” as this has many different meanings and points of view to most people. For us, its the beauty, respect and preservation of an animal that we can study during the taxidermy process and admire for years once its been mounted.
*NEW* Referral Scheme
How can I redeem my discount?
We are still updating the website so we can only process the discount codes through direct messaging on Facebook, Instagram, and Email. Please get in touch with us through any of these channels to book the class with your unique money off discount.
I have referred a group of friends, what next?
That’s great, Look at you go! For each friend who has booked onto a class we will give you 10% off a future booking with Moth. There is no limit to the number of these that you can earn and use. For example, if you have 5 friends who have used your code, you can either get a class for 50% off or 5 classes with 10% off. Neat stuff, no?
Terms & conditions
Moth Studios is a self employed small business, so when it comes to cancellations on classes, we can’t offer any refunds or exchanges as valuable time and stock has already went into prior management of these events. We hope you can understand the time it takes to arrange and plan such events. So please make sure you are able to attend before purchase! The same applies to our shop items, please make sure you are definitely sure on your decision before purchase.
- No refunds or exchanges on shop items
- No refunds or exchanges on class tickets
- UK shipping is always FREE
- We do NOT post outside of the UK on our website, however you can shop on our Etsy store where we ship internationally (see link to Etsy in our services section)
- We post orders within 1-2 working days of payment
- We mainly use Royal mail or parcel force for our post service/couriers
- Items are posted via 2nd class tracked
NEW job role at Moth Studios! (2020)
MOTH STUDIOS LTD.
We are looking for an enthusiastic digital marketing assistant to be a part of Moth Studios and to learn more about our industry and clients!
• Create unique content, while adhering to the specifications set.
• Conduct ongoing research into opportunities for clients.
• Liaise with director to ensure timely delivery of content.
• Analyse and dissect data to provide valuable insights.
• Ensure that all communications are of a consistently high quality in copy, tone and design.
• Work closely with management, updating them regularly on campaign performance and issues.
• Create a range of content for websites blogs and press.
• Contribute to SEO campaigns and elements of campaign creation, expectation and monitoring.
• Offer creative input and suggestions when required.
• Write blog posts and manage all social media platforms.
• Handle a range of digital media, including imagery and written content.
• Conduct client related research and develop insights into our online audiences.
• Develop your organisational skills, formulate a content calendar, manage timelines and approach issues and trends.
• Search for ideas and liaise with contacts to identify and secure opportunities for various clients.
• An interest in social media and blogging
• Enthusiasm and skill toward marketing and digital marketing
• Eye for detail
• Excellent written communication skills
• Able to work well in a small business environment
• Happy with flexible hours and capable to working from home (evenings)
• Keeps up to date with current and future events, social media change and trend forecasting.
• WordPress knowledge
• Excellent work ethic
• X3 GCSE’S or equivalent in grade A-C in any subject, plus GCSE in English and maths
Hours: 6 hours per week (flexi – and with the opportunity to grow as the business does)
- Pay: £8.80 per hour (with an opportunity to grow as the business does)
• Reasonable flexibility, and contactable so you can work from home. As this is social media based, you will also need to be available to be in the studio a couple of hours a week to liaise and take photos/collect content for posts. This will be requested by the employee in advance and can again be flexible to suit all needs upon request and scheduling. Rotas will be issued 4weeks in advance.
• 4 month probation period.
• Flexible times
• Creative avenues
• An opportunity for it to turn into a part time or full time job as the business grows
If you think you’re suitable for this role and want to join the Moth Studios adventure, please email Sherene via firstname.lastname@example.org for the full contract, to ask any further details and to send c.v.s (by sending a c.v, you are allowing us to reply/contact you for application purposes)
Application ends 31st January 2020